Saturday 24 September 2011

Naming Day Gift

What do you give a little boy for a naming day gift? We live in a small town, and the limited selection of traditional gifts (in our budget!) would likely already be turning up. So I did some sewing and made him a travelling art folder - inspiration and instructions culled from a myriad of finished items/tutorials on blogs (and Pinterest........). I can't remember them all - but I did refer to this tutorial when actually making it.


It turned out quite well - but I wish I had used some iron on interfacing on the lining fabric -or even added some wadding - I didn't think it would need it as the outer fabric is denim, but the folder is a little floppy. It should be possible to use the art folder for colouring pencils instead of crayons as there is enough length.

I hope it gets used and abused - chucked in changing bags etc - always handy for those unexpected long waits at the Doctors, in a cafe...... once he's old enough to hold a crayon that is!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely work, such a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise - I enjoyed making it - I think I need to take a leaf out of Marmalade Rose's book and make sure I get 20 minutes of crafting in every day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say how nice it was and then saw your comment - 20 minutes! I faff about far too much for 20 minutes to be any good. I'd still be fiddling with my pins after 20 minutes. THIS is why I get nothing done...

    ReplyDelete